Tuesday, August 26, 2014

French Toast







I thought perhaps there was no point in creating this blog post, because everyone knows how to make French Toast, right!?  Wrong.  My wife doesn't know how to make French Toast and I guess she probably isn't the only one.  So here is a guide.

The basics: Sugar, egg, milk, cinnamon, and bread.

























Start by cracking two eggs into a bowl.

 


Next,  add sugar.  How much you would like to add is completely up to you.  My mother taught me that the more sugar, the better the French Toast!


Then add milk.  Not a lot, just enough to make it kind of liquidy so you can dip the bread in it and it will have something to soak up.




Then slice up the bread. I think it is best with slick slices - so at least an inch to an inch and a half.



Dip the bread into the egg mixture.  And then turn over and dip the other side.  Don't let the bread sit in the mixture too long. You don't want it to get soggy, just dip then turn, then dip and remove.  Place bread in skillet with cooking grease of your choice.  I prefer to use some bacon grease from the bacon I cooked earlier in the morning and maybe a little crisco.


 Cook on low heat so it has time to actually cook all the way through.  You want it to get nice and golden brown or even a little dark brown in a few places.  Flip and cook on the other side...


Remove to a plate.  Top with butter.


And then serve with powdered sugar and fresh fruit.  Never ever serve with syrup.  Syrup is for pancakes.  French toast deserves the good stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment